Miri FA edge Kota Junior in thrilling BFL2017 encounter

Caption: Suhaimi Zamri (L) of Miri FA celebrates his goal against Kota Junior in the Brunei Futsal League 2017 last night. Picture: Yee Chun Leong

Yee Chun Leong

MIRI FA edged two-time defending champions Kota Junior FC 2-1 in a thrilling Brunei Futsal League 2017 encounter last night.

Kota Junior had taken the lead in the sixth minute through Maziri Maidin at the Multipurpose Hall of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas.

Joshua Jalong equalised for Miri FA in the 17th minute to see them deadlocked at 1-1 at halftime.

Kota Junior poured forward much of the second half and came close to regaining the leading in the 33rd minute but Nur Yamin Hj Muhammad’s ferocious shot was denied by the left post.

Instead, Miri FA went ahead the next minute after Mohammad Fairul Kadir dispossessed his opponent before putting the ball his right for Suhaimi Zamri to slot home.

Kota Junior went in search of an equaliser and came close with just over a minute left after Nur Yamin went through on goal but couldn’t get the better of the Miri FA goalkeeper to see them slip to their second defeat in three games.

Miri FA (in blue) and Kota Junior (in black) players in action during their Brunei Futsal League 2017 match last night. Picture: Yee Chun Leong

The earlier game saw Kuantan Rangers and MS ABDB (Royal Brunei Armed Forces Sports Council) battle to a 5-5 draw.

Lt (U) Ahmad Wafiy Muhammad gave MS ABDB the lead in the eight minute and it was doubled courtesy of Lkpl (U) Mohammad Zairul four minutes later.

Khairul Rizuan Harif Pagilah pulled one back for Kuantan Rangers in the 17th minute.

A quick Zainal Abidin Hamzah in a space of 47 seconds ensure that Kuantan Rangers carry a 3-2 lead into halftime.

MS ABDB levelled through Zairul after eight minutes into the second half.

Muhammad Iqbal Aikal Mohd Noor got his name on the scoresheet to put Kuantan Rangers back in front with 10 minutes left on the clock.

Zairul then completed his hat-trick in the 35th minute to see both teams tied at 4-4.

Kuantan Rangers got in front for the third time in the game through Sheikh Muhammad Falah Abdul Khalid with just over three minutes left.

But Zairul came to the rescue of the armymen with his fourth of the match in the 39th minute to ensure both teams take a point out of the matchup.

Brunei Futsal League 2017 standings as of May 20, 2017

The competition continues today with Kuantan Rangers go head-to-head against Miri FA at 7pm.

The second match pits Eagle Blues FC against Najip FT at 9pm.

Comments are closed.