WAHC: Hong Kong book final berth with big win over Brunei

Ak Fauzi Pg Salleh

TIFFANY Chan produced a star performance scoring five goals to help Hong Kong crush Brunei 10-0 in the second round of the 3rd Women's Asian Hockey Challenge 2017 today.

Melissa Law Ka Mun and Mok Ka Man bagged a brace, while Ngan Yuet also got her name on the scoresheet as they booked passage into the final after three straight wins.

The national women's hockey team failed to improve their record against the Hong Kong side in their second encounter, having lost 8-0 on Sunday, but were more composed with their movement and had more possession this time.

Tiffany Chan scored five goals for Hong Kong in the win against Brunei bringing her tally to a total of eight goals in the competition. Picture: Yee Chun Leong

The Stingers were more physical in their approach and were able to disrupt Hong Kong’s organised passing game on several occasions especially in the third quarter.

For as good as they were today, Brunei have yet to find the back net and remain the only team without a goal in the tournament.

There was nothing the Bruneian side could do against Hong Kong’s superior offence as they conceded as early as the second minute from a penalty corner courtesy of Chan.

She doubled the lead just five minutes later as Brunei struggled to find their rhythm at the National Hockey Stadium of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas.

Hong Kong continued their dominance in the second period outplaying the hosts in every department.

Law made it 3-0 in the 22nd minute before Mok scored another just five minutes later to see them carry a 4-0 lead into halftime.

Brunei (yellow) and Hong Kong (red) players in action during their second encounter at the 3rd Women's Asian Hockey Challenge 2017 today. Picture: Yee Chun Leong

Hong Kong continued their offensive onslaught after the restart with Ngan scoring from the edge in the opening minute.

Law made it 6-0 just two minutes later scoring from close range following a scramble in front of goal.

Siti Azura Hamdan and captain Rokiah Kesut should be commended for their tireless running and screening in helping out in defence.

Brunei were in their own half mostly throughout the quarter crowding the semi circle in hope to making it harder for Hong Kong to plan out their attack.

Mok scored Hong Kong's seventh in the 51st minute before Chan sealed the victory scoring three goals in the span of four minutes to complete a double win over Brunei in the tournament.

The competition continues today with Hong Kong taking on Pakistan at 4pm.

Brunei (yellow) and Hong Kong (red) players in action during their second encounter at the 3rd Women's Asian Hockey Challenge 2017 today. Picture: Yee Chun Leong

Hong Kong coach Arif Ali: “I think today’s game, if you don’t look at the scoreline, but watch the performance, was a lot better than the first game we played.

“After a rest day, we expected to come back maybe a little bit slow. But I told the girls that we needed to start quick today and that’s what we did.

“We started well and scored the first goal. Brunei defended very well too so I have to give them credit too for stopping us in the middle for a while as we couldn’t score goals.

“Then we picked up the momentum and I’m sure they were tired as they played yesterday so we took advantage of it.

“We won’t rest anybody (against Pakistan tomorrow) as we want to keep the winning mentality going because it is a team effort. We make sure we go out there to win the game with 18 players again.”

Siti Naziatul Sufri (L) of Brunei looks to get away from Hong Kong's Chan Yi Man. Picture: Yee Chun Leong

Brunei assistant coach Harry Baker: “Hong Kong are a very good side and we can’t take that away from them.

“Brunei were confident before the game especially a good result against Pakistan yesterday.

“It was a always going to be difficult because it is Brunei’s turn to play two games in a row. It is possible they were still tired and don’t think they fully recovered looking at them.

“Hong Kong took advantage and expanded on their game as well. I would have hoped for a lower score than the first game.

“I thought when 6-0, they could achieve it by the end of game. Even at 8-0 there were positives to take out of it because they managed to keep on going as they had two matches in a row but they just weren’t able to hang on.

“Towards the end of the game, their heads dropped and that is something we realise happens. We are trying to work to prepare them mentally and physically.

“All in all it was a good game. There are some positives to take out of a 10-0 loss. We will try to make a stronger side. But well played Hong Kong for playing a fantastic game.”

Comments are closed.