Five-star DPMM FC thump Stags

Caption: Adi Said scored the opener for DPMM FC in the win against Tampines Rovers FC in the TNP League Cup last night. Picture: Courtesy of Ortus Media

Yee Chun Leong

DPMM FC started their The New Paper League Cup campaign with a bang after thrashing Tampines Rovers FC 5-1 in their Group B opener last night.

The victory was also their first in nine games having gone winless - one draw and seven losses - in the S.League coming into the encounter at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore.

The three-time champions now lead the four-team group on a better goal difference from Geylang International FC, who beat Balestier Khalsa FC 2-0 in the other match at the Toa Payoh Stadium.

Azwan Ali Rahman (L) in action against Tampines Rovers FC in Group B of the TNP League Cup last night. Picture: Courtesy of Ortus Media

According to the S.League Twitter updates, Azwan Saleh was on target with a powerful shot in the 12th minute but was parried away by Tampines goalkeeeper Joey Sim.

The Brunei side grabbed the lead the next minute Adi Said steered home Maududi Hilmi Kasmi’s low cross from the left.

He came close to netting a second just minutes later but fired wide with only the keeper to beat.

They doubled their lead just after the half hour mark with Maududi's shot coming off Hafiz Abu Sujad into goal.

It was 3-0 in the 41st minute after Azwan Ali latched onto Adi’s pass before firing a left footed shot past Sim.

Shahrazen Said celebrates scoring the fourth goal for DPMM FC early in the second half. Picture: Courtesy of Ortus Media

Maududi Hilmi Kasmi (L) netted the fifth goal for DPMM FC to complete the win. Picture: Courtesy of Ortus Media

DPMM FC needed only three minutes into the second half to add to their tally with Shahrazen Said heading home at the near post off Maududi’s cross.

The Brunei side almost added another in the 55th minute after Azwan Ali went through on goal but fired just wide.

The Stags grabbed one back in the 67th minute after Jamil Ali took down a long ball before volleying past DPMM FC custodian Ak Md Mu’izzuddin Pg Ismail.

DPMM FC then completed the rout four minutes later after Azwan Ali’s corner was half cleared allowing Maududi to backheel the loose ball into goal.

DPMM FC will next take on the Tigers at the same venue on Tuesday.

Comments are closed.