DPMM FC fight back to draw against Eagles, top Group B

Caption: DPMM FC players celebrate scoring against Geylang International FC in Group B of The New Paper League Cup last night.

Yee Chun Leong

DPMM FC came back from two goals down to draw 3-3 against Geylang International FC in Group B of The New Paper League Cup last night at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore.

The result means that both sides finish on seven points but DPMM FC place top of the four-team group with a better goal difference.

The three-time winners will next face Group A runners-up Warriors FC in the semi-finals on Tuesday while holders Albirex Niigata FC (S) will be up against Geylang.

The Brunei side grabbed the lead through Adi Said in the 20th minute after he took down Azwan Saleh’s cross with his chest before firing into the far corner with his left foot.

It is the forward’s third goal in as many games in the competition.

The lead was shortlived as Eagles levelled just two minutes later after Victor Coto headed home Noor Ariff’s freekick.

Adi came close to adding a second late in the opening half but fired wide with only Geylang custodian Syazwan Buhari to beat.

Md Haizul Rani Metusin (L) of DPMM FC in action against Geylang last night. Picture: Courtesy of Ortus Media

Geylang went back in front four minutes into the second half with Ricardo Sendra volleying on the turn to see his shot go in after coming off the underside of the bar.

The Eagles were awarded a penalty in the 67th minute after Hazwan Hamzah, who was substituted on just two minutes before, handled the ball in the box.

Taufiq Ghani stepped up and made no mistake from the spot to put Geylang up 3-1.

DPMM FC pulled one back in the two minutes later with Maududi Hilmi Kasmi firing into the bottom corner.

Shahrazen Said could have equalised in the 78th minute but his hot was pushed out by Syazwan.

DPMM FC levelled in the 84th minute after a clearance by Geylang came off substitute Helmi Zambin and into goal.

Geylang could have taken all three points from the encounter but Ak Md Mu’izzuddin Pg Ismail was there to keep out shots from Noor Ariff and Anders Aplin in the closing stages.

It was a tale of two halves for DPMM FC but coach Steve Kean felt they had the better chances overall.

“I admit the first half was poor. It was unlike us in this competition,” said Kean as quoted on the S.League.

“We moved the ball too slowly, kept playing the ball backwards and never really asked questions of the Geylang defence.

“The second half in contrast, was much better and even though it may have gone either way, I thought w shaded the overall chances throughout,” he added.

“You could see that both sides came into this wanting to win,” concluded the Scotsman.

Comments are closed.