Singapore Cup: Hassan’s saves put Protectors in control

Caption: Home United FC goalkeeper Hassan Sunny (in green) came up with a double save to turn the game in their favour. Picture: Courtesy of Ortus Media

Yee Chun Leong

HASSAN Sunny came to the rescue of Home United FC to put them up 3-1 against DPMM FC after the first leg of their Singapore quarter-final clash last night.

With the game tied at 1-1, Singapore’s No 1 goalkeeper came up with a double save which resulted in a counterattack that saw his side go back in front at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore.

DPMM FC coach Steve Kean felt that the ball had crossed the line on their second attempt before the Protectors went on to grab the lead.

“I think that the biggest turning point in the game was the double save (by Hassan Sunny),” said Kean as quoted on the S.League.

“It looked like the second save was in because his feet were on the line and his back was arched.

“He hooked it (the ball) out and then they go on to score the goal,” he added.

Hanif Hamir (L) defends Marijan Suto of Home United FC. Picture: Courtesy of Ortus Media

Rafael Ramazotti, who returned after more than two months out, gave the Brunei side the lead on the hour mark.

Home United FC went in front after two quick goals in a span of three minutes courtesy of Juma’at Jantan and Faris Ramli respectively.

The latter then netted another minutes from time to see the Protectors carry a two-goal cushion into Wednesday’s second leg at the Bishan Stadium.

Home United almost grabbed the lead in the second minute but DPMM FC shotstopper Ak Mu’izzudin Pg Ismail tipped away Aqhari Abdullah’s effort.

At the other end, Vincent Salas produced a powerful header off Azwan Saleh’s freekick go just wide in the 17th minute.

Song Uiyong then fired a long range effort narrowly wide of the post three minutes later.

Ramazotti came close for DPMM FC but headed just wide off Gazale’s ball into the box in the on the half hour mark.

Aqhari tried a shot from the edge of the box just before the halftime whistle but was just off the mark.

Minutes into the second half, Ramazotti laid off the ball for Maududi Hilmi Kasmi but the latter curled his shot over.

DPMM FC grabbed the lead on the hour mark after a defensive mix up by the Protectors allowing Ramazotti to slot home.

Home United equalised nine minutes later after Song got the better of three DPMM FC defenders before putting the ball to Juma’at to fire past Ak Mu’izzuddin.

DPMM FC should have regained the lead in the 71st minute after Adi Said sent a backheel to Ramazotti in the box but the latter’s shot was punched out by the Home United custodian.

Off the ensuing corner, Ramazotti’s header was cleared off the line by Hassan resulting in a counterattack which saw Faris getting through on goal before sidestepping Ak Mu’izzuddin to put the ball into an empty net.

Home United built a two-goal cushion after Iaram Rifqi’s freekick came off the crossbar only for Faris to tap home his second of the game.

Comments are closed.