Tigers maul DPMM FC to open up five-point gap between them

Yee Chun Leong

DPMM FC missed their chance to go above Balestier Khalsa FC in the S.League after losing 4-1 in their matchup last night.

The Tigers, who are in seventh position on 16 points, have now opened up a five-point gap from the Brunei side, who have a game in hand, in the nine-team table.

Fadli Kamis gave Balestier a 1-0 halftime lead before two goals by Hazzuwan Halim and another by Tajeli Salamat late on completed the win at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas.

On the other hand, substitute Shahrazen Said got his name on the scoresheet in stoppage time for DPMM FC.

DPMM FC saw plenty of the ball in the early exchanges but were unable to mount any real threat.

They were on target in the 13th minute after a cross from the right by Helmi Zambin was nodded by Rafael Ramazotti but Balestier custodian and captain Zaiful Nizam pulled off a good stop.

Instead, the visitors grabbed the lead eight minutes later after DPMM FC failed to deal with Huzaifah Aziz’s corner kick allowing Fadli to score from close range.

DPMM FC threatened in the 36th minute with Daud Gazale lifting the ball over the Balestier backline to send Adi Said but his cross-shot was dealt with by Zaiful.

Ramazotti met Abd Mu’iz Sisa’s cross from the left just before the halftime whistle but it was not enough to trouble the Balestier shotstopper.

The visitors doubled their lead three minutes into the second half after Tajeli shurgged off Abd Mu’iz before sending a pin point cross from over years out for Hazzuwan to head past Ak Mu’izzuddin Pg Ismail in between the DPMM FC sticks.

The Tigers sat back and soaked in the pressure from their opponents, who were unable to get quality crosses into their target men.

Abd Mu’iz came close to opening his account for DPMM FC moments after the hour mark but his close range header was tipped over by the national Singapore goalkeeper.

In turn, the Tigers were awarded a penalty in the 71st minute after Helmi Zambin tripped Hazzuwan, who stepped up to send Ak Mu’izzuddin the wrong way to make it 3-0.

DPMM FC should have got on the scoresheet in the 83rd minute but the Ramazotti’s effort came off the crossbar.

Md Hendra Azam Md Idris fired wide from 12 yards out minutes later.

The Tigers added added icing to the cake in the 88th minute with Tajeli trying his luck from over 30 yards out resulting in the ball slipping through the gloves of Ak Mu’izzuddin to roll over the line.

DPMM FC grabbed a consolation with Shahrazen tapping home from close range at the death.

With only four games left in the season, DPMM FC will next host Warriors FC on Saturday night.

Comments are closed.