Eagles fire four past DPMM FC

Picture: Courtesy of Ortus Media

Yee Chun Leong

DPMM FC suffered their 16th defeat of the S.League season after losing 4-1 to Geylang International FC last night.

The result means that DPMM FC remain in eighth position in the nine-team table with 14 points with two matches left to play. Balestier Khalsa FC are just two points ahead of them having played a game more.

Shawal Anuar netted a brace while Ricardo Sendra and Victor Coto added one goal each in the win at the Jalan Besar Stadium in SIngapore.

Azwan Ali Rahman got on the scoresheet for DPMM FC in his second straight game in a losing effort.

Geylang got off to a strong start with three goals coming in the opening 22 minutes.

The Eagles needed only eight minutes to break the deadlock after Shawal pounced on Ak Yura Indera Putera Pg Yunos’ back pass before rounding DPMM FC goalkeeper Ak Mu’izzuddin Pg Ismail to score.

It was 2-0 in the 20th minute after Sendra fired a low shot from the edge of the box.

Geylang tripled their lead two minutes later after another defensive mistake by the Brunei side.

Coto was through on goal after taking advantage of Hazwan Hamzah’s back header and made no mistake to fire past an onrushing Ak Mu’izzuddin.

Rafael Ramazotti came close to grabbing one back just before the halftime whistle but his header was parried away by Syazwan Buhari in between the Geylang sticks.

DPMM FC came out a different side after the interval after sending on the duo of Shahrazen Said and Abd Mu’iz Sisa in place of Vincent Salas and Helmi Zambin.

Ramazotti was unfortunate not to get his name on the scoresheet seven minutes into the second half after his header came off the crossbar.

The game was back on in the 54th minute after Azwan Ali volleyed home Adi Said’s cross to make it 3-1.

DPMM FC almost reduced the deficit in the 77th minute but Ramazotti headed straight to Syazwan.

Instead, Geylang put the match to bed eight minutes from time after an error by Ak Mu’izzuddin.

The DPMM FC came out of his box to clear but instead missed contact with the ball allowing Shawal to put the ball into an empty net to complete the win.

DPMM FC team manager Ali Momin felt that things would have been different had they got a second goal.

“We did play better in the second half but was only able to score one. If the second goal had come, I’m sure we can fight back,” said Ali as quoted on the S.League.

“The problem with us is the consistency. They did well in the last game against Warriors FC (3-2) but not in this game.

“We need our players to play with their hearts and hopefully we can improve next season,” he added.

DPMM FC will next host Tampines Rovers FC at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas on Nov 3.

Comments are closed.